The DAAD is the official funding organisation for the international exchange of students and researchers in Germany. DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) Scholarship is the official German study exchange scholarship program which helps international students to gain financial aid in form of scholarships in German universities. The DAAD portal presents various scholarship opportunities to students in developing countries planning to study in Germany for free. The scholarship allows a wide range of degree programs thought both in German and English. Two years of professional work experience is the basic requirement to apply for DAAD scholarship program. The duration of the course studied under DAAD scholarship coverage must have to be more than 12 months and less than 36 months. The scholarship comes both with living expenses, health insurance and sometimes travel grants.
Through the daad scholarship program, international students from all disciplines have the chance study in an state-recognised Germany university to study for free.
DAAD scholarships are awarded to qualified candidates who wish to engage in a full-time course of study with compulsory attendance in Germany. Therefore, students planning to pursue blended learning or distance/online study programmes or part-time studies cannot receive DAAD funding.
Official DAAD WEBSITE – DAAD.DE
Eligible countries for DAAD scholarship
Citizens of Developing Countries [in Africa, Asia, Pacific Islands, Central and South America and Central and Eastern Europe (as defined by the DAC List of the OECD). US citizens can check out the Pell Grant USA Scholarship programme.
Eligibility and Requirements for DAAD scholarship
- Work Experience: Applicants for DAAD scholarships must have atleast 2 years working experience full-time professional experience gained after the completion of their first university degree. You must either be working or have worked for a public or private establishment in your developing country.
- Degree Holder : You must hold a Bachelor’s degree (normally four years) in a related subject.
- Academic Excellence You must have completed an academic degree with far above average results (upper third) and ideally at least two years of related professional experience after the first degree (bachelor).
- Language Requirements For courses in English: IELTS (Band 6) certificate or TOEFL (minimum score: 550 paper based, 213 computer based, 80 internet based)
DAAD scholarship amount and benefits
All awardees of the DAAD scholarship gets an opportunity to study for free in Germany. The scholarship also comes with monthly stipends and the following benefits:
- Monthly stipend of 750 Euros to be given to Post graduate students
- Doctoral degree course students will receive 1000 Euros stipend every month
- Insurance and health coverage for master and doctorate degees programs
- Travel Grants
- Study for free in German universities
- Free accommodation inside university dorm facility
Level/Field(s) of Study Supported by DAAD Scholarship
Masters or PhD courses in Economic Sciences/Business Administration/Political Economics; Development Cooperation; Engineering and Related Sciences; Mathematics; Regional and Urban Planning; Agricultural and Forest Sciences; Natural and Environmental Sciences; Medicine and Public Health; Social Sciences, Education and Law; and Media Studies.
How to Apply for DAAD scholarship
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND APPLICATION FORM
- DAAD SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORM
- YOUR RESUME/CV
- MOTIVATION LETTER
- REFERENCE LETTER
- RECOMMENDATION LETTER
- LANGUAGE CERTIFICATES
- HEALTH INSURANCE DOCUMENT
Application procedures may vary depending on scholarship programme. To find out where and how to apply, please read the “Application procedure” section of the programme’s call for applications.
- Fill the DAAD scholarship Form: The first step is to Download DAAD scholarship application form and fill it with your credentials. Go to the link here TO FILL THE APPLICATION FORM. You may also check the general scholarship database to select a scholarship to apply for.
- Prepare and submit your CV: Your CV must follow the Europas German accepted CV format. Click here to Download Europas Specimen form
- Get a hand signed Motivation letter with current occupation referenced. Most post graduate programmes have Research proposal requirement specified by University so you have to prepare a research topic and write a proposal on it.
- Write your Motivation Letter: Your application must include a statement of purpose and the reason why you have chosen to go through with the DAAD scholarship program
- Recommendation letter: You have to get the Recommendation letter from university you last attended and one recommendation letter from your employer
- Language Requirements: English proficiency proof, following tests scores, are acceptable – IELTS: Band score requirement can be as per university and program requirement as listed on university websites – German language: Mandatory requirement for German taught degree courses – TOEFL Institutional is not accepted
When you want to begin your application, you must first Apply directly to the university and it depends if university requires an online application, documents by postal service.
If you have already gained admission to a German University
To get a DAAD scholarship.You have to apply online. To do this, you have to register in the DAAD portal. Select first the call for scholarship applications for your chosen scholarship programme and then the tab “Application portal” in the scholarship database. Please note that this tab is only visible in the period in which it is possible to apply for this scholarship programme or when the DAAD portal is open for applications.
How to start your DAAD scholarship Application
All applicants must submit a DAAD application form, a hand-signed CV and other supporting documents. DAAD application forms are available to download from the DAAD website. Please note that there may be country-specific information.
Apply directly to the chosen study programme. Please be sure to address applications to the postgraduate course directly! Applications sent via e-mail to the DAAD cannot be considered during the selection process.
It is important to carefully read the 2019/2020 Programme Brochure, and also visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information and to download the DAAD scholarship application form.
DEADLINES FOR DAAD SCHOLARSHIP:
Application deadlines depend on chosen study programme; please check scholarship brochure or the website of your chosen study programme as deadlines may vary from university to university. As a general rule, however, most of the deadline will fall in between August to October 2018. A few will extend to January-April 2019.