Study in Germany

How to Clear German Higher Education Entrance Qualification?

German Higher Education Entrance Qualification

In order to get admission to the German university as an international student, you must satisfy certain requirements. These requirements include the Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB) which is the proof of entrance qualification for higher education in Germany.

Moreover, it is basically the collection of documents that proves that you have completed all the previous necessary studies in order to get admission to the German university for higher studies.

The documents mostly include the certificate showing the grades and subjects you have achieved and studied. Additionally, it also includes the certificates of school leaving. Moreover, if you are applying for a master’s degree then HZB can be your undergraduate degree certificate and the certificate showing the courses and grades. Also known as the grades Transcript.

What is HZB and its Types?

There are different types of HZB listed as follows, depending upon the place where you have studied and the type of your previous qualification.

  • “Allgemeine Hochschulreife” also known as HZB General. It is the general type of admission in the German university.
  • “Fachgebundene Hochschulreife” also known as HZB subject-specific. It is the type of admission in a university that is subject-specific.
  • Combined studies HZB. It is the type of admission in the university if you have done 2 years of your previous qualification in some other country.
  • Unacknowledged HZB. It is referred to one when your earlier education is not equal to the entrance qualification needed in German university.

However, in the situation in which your previous education is not accepted in Germany then you have to appear in “Studienkolleg’’. It is the preparatory course for an entrance exam in German university also known as “Feststellungsprüfung”. Moreover, you must also have a good command of German language equal to the CEFR B1 level.

Apart from this, if your previous qualification is considered of good standard in Germany then you have to provide the following documents as proof.

  • Copies of certificate of school leaving. These should be certified.
  • A statement showing the equivalency of German certificate of school leaving with the foreign certificate you possess.
  • Your regular grades. It can be attained by “Oberschulamt” which is an education office of the state.

What is German Abitur?

Allgemeine Hochschulreife” also recognized as German Abitur, is a qualification for entrance into higher education, helps you to continue your studies in a program offered at the university. You can apply in any recognized institution either it is the applied science college or university in Germany which is study-specific.

You can have an entrance qualification for higher education if you prove the following measures of education.

  • The Gymnasiale oberstufe which includes Bildungsgängen, Gymnasium, Berufliches Gymnasium.
  • “Kolleg” which are the different educational institutions. They offer studies so, that you get an entrance qualification for higher education
  • Berufsoberschule
  • Fachoberschule
  • “Vorprüfung” an exam that you have to pass for getting admission to the applied sciences university.

What is Fachhochschule?

Fachabitur” is the type of education that allows the students to continue their further education at the “Fachhochschule” which is an Applied Sciences University.

You can obtain this certificate by finishing a 2-year academic program at “Fachoberschule” (vocational school).

Fachgebundene Hochschulreife

However, if you are having HZB which is subject-specific then you can start your education in any German institution in a specific course.

Moreover, you can show your HZB Subject-specific by completing the following things.

  • You have to provide the certificate showing your intermediate diploma. The diploma will show your previous practical training or academic studies. Or you can provide a certificate which shows that you have completed credits equal to 60 ECTS from Applied sciences university.
  • HZB Subject-specific obtained being a qualified professional.
  • HZB Subject-specific obtained from a vocational or technical school termed as “Technischen Oberschule’’, “Wirtschaftsoberschule” known as a business school which is a social work vocational school.

Professional Qualification for Admission into German Educational Institutes

Don’t worry if you are not having any higher education qualifications or a school leaving certificate. You can start your education in Germany even without this. For example, if you have been working in the past years, gaining professional experience in some field then you can always give a training exam that is professional and can start studying in Germany.

There are different HZBs that allow you to pursue your higher education in a German university as a person who is professionally qualified.

  • More examinations or entrance qualification for people who are professionally qualified.
  • Fachgebundener Hochschulzugang. It is for the people who are professionally qualified, having experience of many years after the achievement of applied training.

Qualification of Higher Education from a foreign German School

It accounts for the certificates of school leaving from the schools of Germany that are educating people in other countries.

However, certificates taken from these schools are of the same standard as certificates obtained from the schools in Germany.

Higher Education from a School in Europe for Admission into German Universities

You can take school leaving certificates from the European schools operating in Germany. However, in order to provide the certificates for admission to a German university, you also have to submit a certificate of grade-point. This can be obtained from a Recognition Office.

Zahira Bano

(Associate Editor) Zahira holds a PhD in Cosmetics Surgery and Pharma. She worked with Mashables and some other beauty and wellness blogs. She is also a well-known personality and educationist and has a large number of social following. She also writes on the female empowerment motivational topics in her leisure time. She is also a scholarship winner and mentor for students looking for studying abroad opportunities.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button