The Commonwealth Scholarships 2023-2024 is an initiative taken by the British departments to provide and encourage education for entrepreneurs and the upcoming game-changers. The scholarships provided by the commonwealth via different programs work by allowing exceptional students to get into UK’s best colleges. More so, this initiative provides sustainable growth for the country’s national benefit.
The commonwealth scholarships were initially offered in the year 1960 when 175 students came to the UK to study via this initiative. As of this year, 28,500 individuals have studied through the commonwealth scholarships. Over the years this program has evolved and has responded to the changing conditions of the world today.
These Commonwealth Scholarships facilitate capable and competent students to acquire the essential skills necessary for successful advancement in life and are provided to residents from the less well-off Commonwealth nations. The UK Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office (FCDO) funds the largest percentage of fellowships, with the purpose of giving back to the UK’s global progress goals and broader offshore objectives, assisting expertise in UK higher learning, and upholding Commonwealth fundamentals.
Commonwealth Shared Scholarships are open in 6 of CSC’s growth subjects:
- Science and technology for growth
- Solidification of health schemes and capability
- Stimulating worldwide wealth
- Firming worldwide harmony, safety, and governance
- Reinforcing flexibility and crisis management
- Access, inclusion, and opportunity
Commonwealth Scholarships Fund Allocation:
These Commonwealth scholarships come along with the following benefits for the grant’s recipient:
- Study VISA fee sponsorship
- Fully-funded Tuition Fee sponsorship
- Living Allowances
- Personal expense Allowances for students
- Thesis and Dissertation Allowances
- Fieldwork Allowance and other travel stipends in case of coursework related trips
- Additional Airfare with Luggage Allowance
- Initial medical tests are covered by the scholarships
- Child Allowances are given in cases of single parents, widows, or divorcees
Eligibility Criteria Required for Commonwealth Scholarships
In order to be qualified for these commonwealth scholarships, your country must be eligible. Following is the list of eligible countries:
Zambia, Uganda, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Mozambique, Nigeria, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Tanzania, Cameroon, Solomon Islands, Pakistan, Eswatini, Papua New Guinea, The Gambia, Rwanda, India, Samoa, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Kenya, Malawi, Kiribati, Lesotho.
More so, the candidate must fulfill the below requirements for commonwealth programs as well:
- The candidate must be a resident of a less-developed country or must have a refugee rank via an identified commonwealth nation.
- The candidate can be a British Protected Person as well.
- The candidate must be a national of the abovementioned countries.
- The candidate must be vacant to begin their academic journey in the UK by September or October of 2023.
- The candidate is mandated to have their prerequisite degrees before applying for the scholarship. A bachelor’s degree for the Master’s programs and a Master’s degree for a post-graduation program.
- The candidate must not have been admitted to or worked for a high-income nation.
- The candidate must have no means of affording education without a scholarship.
- All required documents must be presented in the format stated by the scholarship or the university.
Method of Application for Commonwealth Scholarship Programs
The process of applying is convenient online. In order to secure your application, the candidate is required to provide the following documentation:
- Complete transcripts from high school to university
- The transcripts must be translated to English in the case they are in another language
- Two separate references must be uploaded. These letters can be from the candidate’s previous teachers or employers. The referee’s contact information must also be shared.
- All the above-mentioned documents have to submit in the form of PDF, .doc, or .jpg. Zip files will be rejected without any consideration.
Commonwealth Scholarships 2023 Application Deadline
The deadline to get a seat under the Commonwealth Shared Scholarships is October 30, 2022. However, these dates are subject to change, which is why it is vital that candidates keep a check on the updated dates.