The Shanghai Government Scholarship for 2024-2025 offers a remarkable opportunity for international students to pursue higher education at various universities in Shanghai, China. This comprehensive scholarship aims to attract brilliant students globally for undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral programs.
The Shanghai Government Scholarship, commonly referred to as the SGS Scholarship, offers fully-funded opportunities for undergraduate, master’s, and Ph.D. studies. It encompasses a wide range of fields such as philosophy, economics, law, education, literature, history, management, science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, and art.
The duration of the SGS scholarship varies depending on the degree level: approximately 4 to 5 years for Bachelor’s degrees, 2 to 3 years for Master’s degrees, and 3 to 4 years for Doctoral degrees. This Shanghai scholarship is available at various universities based in Shanghai for the batch of classes starting in 2024 September intake.
Fund Cover of SGS Scholarship 2024
The SGS scholarship includes comprehensive funding covering tuition fees, accommodation, medical insurance, and a monthly stipend. The stipend amount varies with the level of study, ensuring adequate financial support for students across all academic levels.
The Shanghai Government Scholarship is divided into two types:
- Type A SGS Full Scholarship: This includes a tuition fee waiver, free campus accommodation, medical insurance, and a monthly living expense.
- Type B SGS Partial Scholarship: This covers a tuition fee waiver and medical insurance.
Qualification Criteria of SGS Scholarship
To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good health, meet specific age and educational qualifications, have the necessary language proficiency, and should not be recipients of other Chinese government scholarships.
Language proficiency requirements:
The Shanghai Government Scholarship Program has released its language proficiency criteria for the upcoming academic year, with distinct requirements based on the program of study. Applicants targeting English-taught programs must demonstrate their proficiency through standard tests. The criteria include an IELTS score of 6.0 or above, a TOEFL score of 80 or higher, or an equivalent English language proficiency certificate. Notably, native English speakers are exempt from these requirements.
For those interested in Chinese-taught programs, a minimum level of 5 in the HSK (Chinese Proficiency Test) is required. Recognizing the diverse backgrounds of international applicants, the scholarship program also offers an alternative for those who do not initially meet these language prerequisites. Candidates have the opportunity to enroll in a one-year pre-college language course aimed at enhancing their English or Chinese language skills to the required level, thereby ensuring they are well-prepared for their academic pursuits in Shanghai.
Application Method is Centralized for SGS Scholarship
The Shanghai Government has announced the application guidelines for its prestigious 2024 Shanghai Government Scholarship (SGS). Prospective students are encouraged to begin the application process by visiting the Shanghai Government Scholarship Portal for detailed information about the SGS scholarship.
The process involves filling out an online application for the SGS scholarship and, if required, applying for admission directly on the website of the selected Shanghai-based university. After completing the online submission, applicants must dispatch their application documents to the university.
The required documents for the SGS scholarship include the application form, notarized academic transcripts, highest diploma, a health certificate along with blood test results, a study plan or research proposal, a motivation letter, an optional acceptance letter, a photocopy of the passport, and any other relevant certificates. Applicants are advised to download, print, and mail two sets of these documents (originals and photocopies) to their chosen university.
Post-application, it’s essential for candidates to regularly check their emails for updates regarding their application status. The results will be announced on the applicant’s account and the International Students’ Office website. Admitted students must bring their original certificates for registration at the university.
SGS Scholarship Deadline and Application Finalization
The application period of government of Shanghai scholarship for the classes starting in September 2024 generally has application deadlines in all Shanghai based universities till June 2024. Applicants are encouraged to consult the respective university websites for the most current and detailed information.
List of all Shanghai universities which offer this Shanghai government scholarship are:
- Shanghai Business School
- Fudan University
- Sanda University
- Shanghai Maritime University
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Shanghai Jian Qiao University
- Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences
- Shanghai University of Engineering Science
- Shanghai University of Medicine & Health Sciences
- Shanghai Normal University
- East China University of Political Science and Law
- East China Normal University
- Shanghai University of International Business and Economics
- Shanghai University of Sport
- East China University of Science and Technology
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine
- Shanghai Lixin University of Accounting and Finance
- Shanghai International Studies University
- University of Shanghai for Science and Technology
- China Europe International Business School
- Shanghai Polytechnic University
- Shanghai University
- Shanghai Ocean University
- Shanghai University of Political Science and Law
- Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Tongji University
- Donghua University
- Shanghai Theatre Academy
- Shanghai Conservatory of Music
- Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
- Shanghai University of Electric Power
- Shanghai Dianji University
- Shanghai Institute of Technology
- NYU Shanghai