Are you a recent doctoral graduate looking to deepen your understanding of political economy? The Mercatus Center’s James Buchanan Fellowship 2024 might be your golden ticket! This one-year fellowship is designed for scholars who wish to critically engage with ideas in the political economy, following the legacies of Adam Smith and the Austrian, Virginia, and Bloomington schools. The James Buchanan Fellowship is based in the United States. The fellowship involves attending colloquia at George Mason University, which is located in Fairfax, Virginia, a region close to Washington, D.C.
So, let’s explore what this fellowship entails and how you can be a part of it.
Who Should Apply?
The fellowship welcomes scholars who:
- Graduated from an accredited PhD program within the last six years.
- Can commit to attending three weekend colloquia at George Mason University in Fairfax, VA.
- Hold an academic or research position in social sciences or other sciences.
- Have interests in political economy that could benefit from this program.
What Does the James Buchanan Fellowship Offer?
James Buchanan Fellows receive:
- A stipend of up to $8,000.
- All reading materials.
- Travel and lodging for colloquia.
- Participation in discussions on mainline political economy.
- Networking opportunities with Hayek Program scholars, alumni, and other fellows.
- Eligibility for conference and research funding.
The Fellowship Experience
Fellows will engage students in:
- Intensive discussions, lectures, and formal meals.
- Building connections with a network of scholars in contemporary political economy.
- Exploring applications of political economy ideas to social science issues.
To apply, you need:
- A cover letter (1-2 pages) explaining your graduate school career, academic goals, research interests, familiarity with relevant economic schools, and expectations from the program.
- Current resume/CV.
- List of recent academic publications, if any.
- Answers to short questions in the application form.
Additional Responsibilities and Opportunities: Fellows are expected to:
- Be employed at an academic institution during the fellowship.
- Actively participate in all program events.
- Adhere to professional conduct standards.
- Coordinate travel arrangements to attend colloquia.
- Build relationships with faculty and other participants.
- Engage with professional organizations related to the program.
Ready to Apply? Application Deadline:
If you meet the qualifications and are ready to immerse yourself in this enriching experience, start your application journey now! Check out the official James Buchanan Fellowship page and submit your application via the online form. The application deadline for the James Buchanan Fellowship for the 2024-2025 academic year is April 15, 2024.