Study in Germany

Minimum Qualification Required for Admissions in German Universities 2023


You are going to get your eyes on the Minimum Qualification Required to apply for Scholarship based Admissions in German Universities for the class of 2023. In order to get admission to a German university as an international student, you must satisfy certain requirements. These requirements include the Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB) which is the proof of entrance qualification for higher education in Germany.

Moreover, it is basically the collection of documents that proves that you have completed all the previous necessary studies in order to get admission to a German university for higher studies.

The documents required to apply for Scholarships in Germany mostly include the certificate showing the grades, a recommendation letter, a letter of motivation, a study plan, a research proposal, and subjects you have achieved and studied. Additionally, it also includes the certificates of school leaving. Moreover, if you are applying for a master’s degree then HZB can be your undergraduate degree certificate, and the certificate shows the courses and grades. Also known as the grades Transcript.


What is HZB and its Types?

There are different types of HZB listed as follows, depending upon the place where you have studied and the type of your previous qualification.

  • “Allgemeine Hochschulreife” also known as HZB General. It is the general type of admission to a German university.
  • “Fachgebundene Hochschulreife” also known as HZB subject-specific. It is the type of admission to a university that is subject-specific.
  • Combined studies HZB. It is the type of admission in the university if you have done 2 years of your previous qualification in some other country.
  • Unacknowledged HZB. It is referred to as one when your earlier education is not equal to the entrance qualification needed in a German university.

However, in the situation in which your previous education is not accepted in Germany then you have to appear in “Studienkolleg’’. It is the preparatory course for an entrance exam in a German university also known as “Feststellungsprüfung”. Moreover, you must also have a good command of the German language equal to the CEFR B1 level.


Apart from this, if your previous qualification is considered of a good standard in Germany then you have to provide the following documents as proof.

  • Copies of certificate of school leaving. These should be certified.
  • A statement showing the equivalency of a German certificate of school leaving with the foreign certificate you possess.
  • Your regular grades. It can be attained by “Oberschulamt” which is an education office of the state.

What is German Abitur?

Allgemeine Hochschulreife” also recognized as German Abitur, is a qualification for entrance into higher education and helps you to continue your studies in a program offered at the university. You can apply in any recognized institution whether it is the applied science college or university in Germany which is study-specific.


You can have an entrance qualification for higher education if you prove the following measures of education.

  • The Gymnasiale oberstufe includes Bildungsgängen, Gymnasium, Berufliches Gymnasium.
  • “Kolleg” which are the different educational institutions. They offer studies so, that you get an entrance qualification for higher education
  • Berufsoberschule
  • Fachoberschule
  • “Vorprüfung” is an exam that you have to pass for getting admission to an applied sciences university.

What is Fachhochschule?

Fachabitur” is the type of education that allows the students to continue their further education at the “Fachhochschule” which is an Applied Sciences University.

You can obtain this certificate by finishing a 2-year academic program at “Fachoberschule” (vocational school).


Fachgebundene Hochschulreife

However, if you are having HZB which is subject-specific then you can start your education in any German institution in a specific course.


Moreover, you can show your HZB Subject-specific by completing the following things.

  • You have to provide the certificate showing your intermediate diploma. The diploma will show your previous practical training or academic studies. Or you can provide a certificate that shows that you have completed credits equal to 60 ECTS from Applied sciences university.
  • HZB Subject-specific obtained being a qualified professional.
  • HZB Subject-specific obtained from a vocational or technical school termed as “Technischen Oberschule’’, “Wirtschaftsoberschule” known as a business school which is a social work vocational school.

Required Qualification for Admission in German Universities

Don’t worry if you are not having any higher education qualifications or a school leaving certificate. You can start your education in Germany even without this. For example, if you have been working in the past years, gaining professional experience in some field then you can always give a training exam that is professional and can start studying in Germany.

There are different HZBs that allow you to pursue your higher education in a German university as a person who is professionally qualified.

  • More examinations or entrance qualifications for people who are professionally qualified.
  • Fachgebundener Hochschulzugang. It is for people who are professionally qualified and have experience many years after the achievement of applied training.

Qualification of Higher Education from a foreign German School:

It accounts for the certificates of school leaving from the schools of Germany that are educating people in other countries. However, certificates taken from these schools are of the same standard as certificates obtained from schools in Germany.

Higher Education from a School in Europe for Admission into German Universities:

You can take school leaving certificates from the European schools operating in Germany. However, in order to provide the certificates for admission to a German university, you also have to submit a certificate of a grade point. This can be obtained from a Recognition Office.

Dr. Philip Morgan

(Associate Editor) Dr. Philip Morgan is a postdoctoral fellow and lead author at He earned his Master's and Ph.D. from Stanford before pursuing research in the U.S. on a Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship. Leveraging his diverse academic background, Dr. Morgan creates informative articles on scholarships, internships, and fellowships for international students. His expertise and passion empower students to achieve their academic goals through international education opportunities.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button