If you want to study in Germany, then it is necessary that you have sufficient English or German Language skills. Language plays an important role in successful academic studies. However, you have to keep in mind that most of the courses in German universities are delivered in German. Germany has an interesting history and cultural values and if you can understand the German language then you will get fascinated by reading old German books.
Apart from this, the German institutions which provide international courses, teach lessons in the English language. This makes necessary for an international student to have a good command of the English language. However, you may find some international courses that are delivered both in German and English. Because of which you must have a good command of both languages.
So, because of this reason, German universities always want language proficiency proof from international students. This language proficiency can be shown by the certificates obtained after appearing in the standardized language tests.
If your aim is to apply for a German Scholarship, even then you need English or German language proficiency certificates. So, this article provides you a detailed guide on how to complete this language requirement clause in order to apply for admission into a German University.
German Language Requirement for admission in German University
If you are enrolled in a course already or wish to apply for a course that is taught entirely in the German language, then without having a proper command on German, you can never participate in the studies. Moreover, you always need to learn German in order to communicate with people on a daily basis.
You can prove your German language aptitude by providing a certificate obtained after clearing the standardized German language test. However, if you don’t have a language proficiency certificate then you can provide a certificate depicting that you have studied your previous course in the German language.
However, if you are studying an international course at a German university then you may have a little or not any command on the German Language. The reason for this is that the international courses are taught in the English language and for that, you have to provide English language proficiency proof.
#1 German language proficiency requirement for an undergraduate degree
If you are studying a bachelor’s program in Germany in which the lectures are delivered in the German language then you need to have a minimum of DSH II or C1 CEFR level skill.
#2 German language proficiency requirement for a Master degree
If you are taking part in the master’s program at the German university then you should have a minimum of DSH II or DSH I level skill.
#3 German language proficiency requirement for a Doctoral degree
Pursuing Ph.D. studies in Germany does not require specific German language skills. However, the language skills you need to provide depends entirely on the German university in which you are taking admission.
German Language Certificates Recognized by German Universities
The certificates that are recognized in Germany by German universities for C1 CEFR level German proficiency are as follows:
- DSH Certificate which should be level 2 or more.
- TestDaF certificate with a minimum of 4 points in 4 different sections.
- GDS Certificate which should be level C2 or more.
- Education Ministers’ Conference language certificate with a minimum of C2 level in all of the sections.
More Recognized German language Certificates
For Abitur which is entrance qualification in a German University, the following certificates are accepted
- “Feststellungsprüfungszeugnis” which is an Assessment Exam Certificate.
- Certificate obtained by passing a test of Goethe-Institute Following tests are accepted
- Certificate obtained by giving Goethe Certificate C2 Examination which is a Diploma in the German language.
- Former tests of the German language
- Goethe Institute of Central Advanced Language Test
- Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom Examination
- Telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule Certification (equal to TestDaF).
- Telc Deutch B1 Certification (recognized by institutes of music and arts).
- Österreichisches Sprachdiplom (C1 ÖSD Zertifikat).
- Certificates obtained by completion of studies in the German language from an institute in some other country.
Language Certificates accepted for DSH I Level
- DSH Certificate which you be Level 1 or more
- TestDaF certificate with a minimum of 14 points in total.
- GDS Certificate with level C1 or more.
- telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule certificate.
- UNIcert III.
- Education Ministers’ Conference Certificate of language with C1 level 2 in all sections.
Foreign German language taught Educational Certificates
- French Diplôme Du Baccalauréat: It is a diploma obtained by completing the studies from a French-German secondary school.
- AP Exam which is a US Advanced Placement Exam in German.
- Certificate of school leaving obtained from a high school in Belgium where community speaks the German language.
- Certificate of school leaving from Luxemburg Grand Duchy.
- Diplomas obtained by studying in the secondary schools of Bozen-South Tyrol (Italy), however, they are accepted only when the mode of instruction is the German language.
- Certificate of school leaving obtained from “Luigi Galvani“ which is in Bologna, Italy.
- Bilingual German-Irish Secondary School Leaving Certificate obtained from the German School named St. Kilian located in Dublin.
- Degree obtained from a German university, it is only acceptable when you want to take admission in the postgraduate program at a German university.
English Language Requirement for admission in German University
While taking admission to the international course at the German university you must keep in mind that you should have a good command of English. This is necessary for a good understanding of lessons and different activities.
So, being an international student studying an international course in a German institution, you must have English language skills and some basic German skills for day to day dealings.
Standard English Language Certificates accepted by German Universities
Following certificates are accepted as a proof of English language by German institutes
- English language proficiency certificate from English medium school
For this type of certificate, you should have finished 5 to 6 years in English medium school where the mode of instruction was the English language.
- IELTS certificate
You should have a minimum of 4.5 (B1) or 5.0 (B2) score.
- Cambridge English Certificates
Following certificates are also accepted:
- B1 Preliminary
- B2 First
- C1 Advanced
- C2 Proficiency.
- UNIcert® with minimum I (B1) or II (B2)
- TOEIC certificate.
- TOEFL Scores.
You must score 450 (B1)/500 (B2) points in the paper-based test. 130 (B1)/170 (B2) in the computer-based test. And in the internet-based test, you must obtain 60 (B1)/80 (B2).
Proof of the previous qualification obtained in a country where the native language is the English language. Degree obtained from higher education of a state where the native language is the English language.
The list of English language tests accepted by German Universities and the list of German language tests accepted by German Universities will provide you with the options to choose the test to appear in next.